Thursday, September 28, 2006

A New Comparative Perspective for Moldova: Japan

Konnichiwa from Japan! Moldova is one of many countries receiving official development assistance (ODA) from a number of higher-income countries, such as US, Japan, EU, Canada, Sweden, Austria, Switzerland, etc. The philosophy behind ODA is that lower-income countries like Moldova need various types of assistance for their development, and the rich countries are willing to contribute. In past years, I developed an interest for and, gradually an understanding of, how ODA works from both perspectives: the donor country and the recipient country.

I am currently in Japan, representing the Moldovan government, and benefiting on behalf of my country from one of Japanese ODA programs, namely, a training on regional development and planning. This post opens a new series of articles on such topics like ODA policies and practices, Japanese experience and practices in regional and local development and planning as well as other public policies, and, of course, Japanese people, culture and society.

There is one major reason why I will bother to write about Japan and its development experience. By accepting this type of assistance, the Moldovan government acknowledged that there is something useful to learn from Japan. Similarly, by accepting to participate in this program, I made the commitment to disseminate and use in my work whatever I find interesting and applicable upon my return. So, as someone who believes in the participatory approach of the decision-making process, I want to share these things with the readers of this blog, welcoming your comments, suggestions and ideas. Arigato gozaimasu (thank you)!

Comments:

Anonymous , September 28, 2006  

Lucia! I am glad that this new job offered you an opportunity to travel to Japan and view things from a different prespective.
Enjoy your time there and I am looking forward to learn about your impressions.

Ludmila/ARC

Tom , September 28, 2006  

Sounds like a great program. I look forward to your next posts about it.

Anonymous , September 29, 2006  

Lucia, post some pictures from Japan :)
I wish to go one day tpo Japan!
P.S. Schimba te rog link-ul la noum meu blog.